Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Congrats Barack - Time for Change

Before these past 8 years of my life, I was pretty indifferent to politics. I was 13 when Bush was sworn in for his first term. I was still a child then, as much as I would have denied it, I didn't know what that election meant. I had no idea the impact it would have on the future of our country, our world, and my own life--then again, I don't suppose any of us ever thought it could get this bad. 

What we have all seen happening in the world and to our country over the past 8 years has been appalling. I guess if I can thank George Bush for one thing, it would be for making me care.

I never thought I would know what it felt like to be ashamed to be an American. A country which once stood for freedom and opportunity has all but lost it's former luster. 

I never thought that I would have to tell someone that I was Canadian so that they would give me a fair price for my food. 

I never thought that I would have to apologize abroad for the actions of my country's government.

I never thought I would care so much about a candidate for the Democratic Party, a Senator from Illinois.

I suppose what I see in Barack is a chance for CHANGE, proof that there is still HOPE. Two words which have come to define his campaign but also remain very much alive and real in all of those who wish for a brighter future.

As the economy sinks deeper everyday and the war on terror persists, what are we as Americans left with? We are afraid to travel because of what we fear other people of other nations think of us, because of what "our" president has done. We are afraid to own up to our nationality when we do travel, because we are afraid of the response. But at the same time, in hiding who we are, we deprive those who meet us of seeing what a real American is like--what America still is, even if it is hidden underneath the veil of the Bush administration. It is a frustrating game I am forced to play: Who to tell? When to hide?

The nomination of Barack Obama as the Democratic candidate in the upcoming election does represent hope. He has given us all a light at the end of the tunnel, a sense that after these years of darkness and even in this time of economic hardship, there are better times ahead.

Thank you Barack, congratulations and good luck, you have my vote.


No comments: