Sunday, March 16, 2008

Prague - Day 2

I went for a short walk today, just a couple of hours into the city...a slightly different route this time: through the Prague Castle. It's really more of a small city than a castle with shops and restaurants lining the inner roads. For someone like me, who hates tourists, I suppose this was probably the worst route to take, but I had a plan.

Yesterday evening I realized the potential for a small series of portraits. I decided that I would photograph the 4 (or more) castle guards everyday until I leave. They are easy subjects--unable to move or speak--and with a little creative depth of field and arranging, I think these guys could produce a nice group of images. Here are the first 4:


After moving through the castle I headed across the river and into a slightly different part of the city. Even MORE tourists than yesterday! They are spreading. It started to rain and so I decided to head home, on my way capturing some fairly stunning sunset photos which can be found on flickr!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hey! these guys are almost as silly as the ones in greece, right? i think this could be a very cool set. AND i'm glad you enjoyed my other pics as well. i hope you saw that i correctly credited you with most of the pictures in my birthday album and directed people to your site?

hope all is well!

Eric Baumann said...

actually, they are only silly in that they can't move or say anything to anyone. no foot dingle balls here.

other than the whole human statue thing, they are just dudes in sweet uniforms with a old school gun/bayonet at the ready.

thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

The guards faces - forces you to wonder - what are their thoughts - feelings - pride, boredom, control, duty. Very interesting series.

Find the heart of the city - if you haven't found it already. My son.

Anonymous said...

Hello Erik.

nice set, the Karlsbridge and Karlovy Lazne is a sweet reminder of my own stay. Keep up the nice shooting.

Cheers,
Eddie
(from the Train to Prague)

Unknown said...

my sister got into your school!!

Anonymous said...

I watched a pretty cool show on the History channel the other day about Prague. Did you know that "back in the day", the city of Prague was elevated by almost an entire story to prevent the city from flooding? There is an entire underground world under the main streets and buildings, and that's where the Nazi resistance movement was orchestrated in Prague! I think you can check it out under the Old Town Hall. Cities of the Underworld... great television programming.

-Cate

Clara Rice said...

i realized that i hadn't checked your blog in awhile, so i expected to have a lot of catching up to do. but when i check for updates... nothing.

what the fuck, baumann.

Anonymous said...

Eric, good stuff as always, but I need a fix, where's the updates?