Monday, March 3, 2008

La Boqueria, La Pedrera, and Hector

I started off the day today with a visit to the infamous Mercat de la Boqueria in downtown Barcelona. It is one of Europe's oldest functioning markets (if not THE oldest) and a true sight to be seen, or rather, experienced. Just about every food product you can imagine can be bought from one of the market's numerous vendors-everything from gummy bears to animal brains in tuperware is up for sale.




After the market, it was off to La Pedrera, one of Gaudi's numerous architectural attractions here in the city. At first, I was skeptical about the buzz surrounding Gaudi's work, but after visiting and learning a little of the history behind it I am a firm believer that he more than earned his spot amongst the architectural elite. The most impressive thing about his work is not only its beautiful organic shapes, but also the fact that most of his buildings were constructed around 1900. Gaudi was a man working far ahead of his time, creating things unlike anyone else could have even dreamed. I greatly admire his creativity and vision and strongly recommend you see as much of his work as possible if you ever come to Barcelona. He is one of the all time masters of architecture.




Throughout the day I had been corresponding with a friend of mine, Mr. Hector Soto, who I met in a hostel while I was in Paris back in early February. I hadn't heard from him in quite some time when I left La Pedrera, but I had told him I was there. Sure enough, as soon as I stepped out of the building, Hector came walking right over, sandwich in hand, smile on his face.

We sat down on a bench and began to chat about life, travel and Barcelona. Mr. Soto is a 30 year old singer/dancer/artist hailing from Guadalajara, Mexico. After his recent divorce, he hopped on a plane to Rome, then Paris and now Barcelona-where he is living. After catching up, we decided to head back to Yalda's apartment for dinner and drinks.

We had a fun dinner together with Yalda, whom I had told all about Hector prior to her meeting him. As Hector and I began to head out the door, Yalda volunteered to take a photo of us. You can't go wrong with a thumbs up.


Hector and I struck out for Placa del Sol, a spot not far away where a lot of locals go to hang out. It was a monday night so we figured there probably wouldn't be many people around but we decided to go check it out anyway. We bought a couple Estrella's and sat down on a bench next a few other 20-somethings. Turns out there were two other Mexicans in the group, both named Jaime, and Hector struck up a convo. By the end of the night we were all friends, especially the Jaime's and Hector, they just couldn't get enough of Hector's jokes, only half of which I understood (my spanish is mediocre at best).


I took a shot of the three of them before heading home for the night.


I have to say, I will miss Hector. I hope we can meet again soon somewhere else in the world.

Tomorrow is my last day in Barcelona. I will be trying to climb up in La Segrada Familia and also visit MACBA and/or the Picasso Museum. Then it's off to Milan!

3 comments:

Jason said...

LOVE the crabs

Clara Rice said...

mmmm, the market....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/clara_neu/barcelona/6.jpg

Anonymous said...

love the mustache, where is yours eric? does'nt mustache automatically come free with european vacation? bueno? BASTA MAGGIORE! aie, donde es tu mustachio?