Monday, January 21, 2008

Hampton Estate

Today's hero: Skype.
Skype pulled through when neither Verizon nor pay phones could contact my only ride in London.

Bad news: My latest count puts me at 33 hours without sleep...
Good news: I'll be able to fall into a normal sleep routine immediately, starting tonight, early.

As I made my way into London with Mr. Michael Gough-Allen, I was amazed by the difference in automobiles that were on the road. I knew what to expect, I have seen enough movies to know, generally, what the streets of London are filled with, it was just stunning to me that there were what appeared to be very fuel efficient FORD compact cars cruising around. Why don't these little "Ka's" exist in America? I had also always liked the taxi's of London, the cars have a very interesting shape to them. I was surprised to learn that these cars exist exclusively as taxi's and were designed the way they are due to an old law requiring taxi's to have a tall enough doorway for a man to be able to enter the car with a top hat on his head...that's what's up.

After a not so quick stop to drop off my passport and application for a visa at the Vietnamese Embassy, it was off to Surrey where I could finally slow down and relax a little. Turns out Surrey is even better than I had hoped. There is amazing landscape and trees that are unlike any I have seen in the states, I blame it on the non-stop precipitation.

Some examples of that landscape:



I think there is some real photographic potential here, can't wait to explore more tomorrow...

No comments: