Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day 2008

While I have always known that this was going to be a historic election, the real weight of it didn't fully hit me until I picked up today's copy of the Metro. The issue was almost entirely devoted to election features and sported "AMERICA SPEAKS" on the cover in bold black lettering.  I had a sudden urge to save this Metro, for history's sake. I have never felt an urge like that before. Not since elementary school when I collected newspaper articles about the MetroStars(my favorite MLS team at the time).

The gravity of the historical significance of today and tomorrow finally came crashing down on my head. I raced to find a copy of last month's Rolling Stone, which had a photo of Barack Obama on the cover and an interview with him inside. I made a mental note to wake up early tomorrow and get in line for the (hopefully) historic editions of every paper I could get my hands on. 
I also felt somewhat disappointed that I wasn't going to be able to vote at a polling station, having sent in my absentee ballot a week ago. I now crave that experience! To close the curtain behind me and take control of a machine that holds within it the hope of a nation. 
Today is the day history is made, today is the day America speaks. If we all go out and cast our votes, I have no doubts that come tomorrow morning there will be a newspaper worth saving. 
Two long years of campaigning have all led up to this day, now its up to us. That said... 

GET OUT AND CAST YOUR VOTE

There has never been a more important time to care.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

if it helps you regret being absentee less, there were no curtains at the polling place and we just filled in little bubbles with a marker. totally underwhelming.