Friday, February 29, 2008

Barcelona, Day 1

So, I started the day off kinda slow, but atleast I had a plan.

I sat down to some free "breakfast" here at the hostel, consisting of a medium sized bowl of cocoa crispies(?) and toast--the breakfast of champions. After that, I grabbed my camera and marched down the to train station, determined to sort out my next train ASAP to avoid any more 2 day journeys.

I was forced to book an overnight, first class reservation to Milan because my Eurail pass isn't valid for travel through Switzerland (the only other route had a transfer in Geneve). 40 euro gone, whatever, I would have had to pay another 20 euro to stay in a hostel that night anyways, at least it will save me a day on my pass and give me a direct route to Milan and a free place to crash for a few days.

After that, I came back to the hostel, dropped some stuff off and picked other stuff up, then went out into the city.

i came to Barcelona with a lot of expectations and as I walked, everything I saw and heard was filtered through these pre-conceived ideas. I think I built it up too much in my mind, I expected to LOVE Barcelona. The "Spanish Paris" I told myself, that was what I was expecting; but that's not what it is.

Barcelona is something else, it is something all its own, and I like it, I like it a lot. I walked a lot today, saw a lot, but it was only a small part of a much larger whole. I am just getting started.

PICTURES HERE (in case you didn't notice the other link)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is what im talkin about man!!!! people people people

Clara Rice said...

yo next time you see that happen, steal the sandwich and run.... no more snickers bars for eric.