Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saigon --> Nha Trang

26 hours after we left Saigon, we arrived at our hotel in Nha Trang. 
While everyone was asleep, a typhoon apparently tore up part of the track ahead of our train, stranding us somewhere in no-mans-land, Vietnam. We sat in the train, stationary, for around 8 hours before finally getting picked up by a bus from Nha Trang that our leader had called for us. After that, it was another 3 hour ride to the city which, as it turns out, is just another tourist beach town. Yay.

I really hope we go somewhere other than the beach. Seeing as how I don't currently own any form of bathing suit and I am not eager to leave my camera, and whatever else I might be carrying with me, unattended on a beach crawling with a bunch of randos, these beaches have little to nothing to offer me. 

Today as I was writing this, one of the 6 new group members asked me if I was doing work. I stopped to think about it for a second, then I realized that yes, yes I am doing work. I am not on vacation, I am not here to go swimming, I don't want to be swimming. I want to be taking photos, and so far this leg of the trip has been coming up slightly short of my personal goals.

Saigon was less than inspiring, to say the least. I rarely ventured more than 10 minutes from the hotel. It was due in part that I had a lot of planning to catch up on, but mostly because of the general atmosphere of the city. It just wasn't inviting or welcoming, it was just there. Everyone seemed like they had somewhere to go, something to do. There was an overwhelming aura of takin-care-of-business surrounding every person who flew by on a scooter or marched down the sidewalk; and there were a lot of those people.

There were, of course, those who decided to take some time to themselves amidst the chaos:



It was a very western city. Lots of English, lots of American and western culture infused into the city. Huge buildings were going up everywhere. I realized that the one thing that bothers me more than America, is countries that try to be like America. 

Now don't get me wrong, America is fine and I am happy to live there, but it is what it is. America is America, no need for Vietnam or anywhere else in the world to attempt an emulation. I think there is something to be said for staying true to your cultural roots, to what YOUR country is, not what you think the world standard wants it to be.

For example, I am sitting now listening to Celine Dion belt out MY HEART WILL GO ON for the third time in 14 hours; keep in mind I was sleeping for 9 or 10 of them. Not only that, but the girl at reception is singing right along with Ms. Dion, similarly to our group leader at dinner last night. 

Am I in Vietnam or am I back in Ms. Thompson's class, back in 5th grade? 

Please, let there be something real around the corner. I am tired of walking down the street and seeing "Italian, French, Indian, Western, Espanol" all with a tiny "and Vietnamese" stuffed underneath. 

Hopefully I'll be able to break away from the beach area and have some more shots to post from my walk this afternoon. 
 
UPDATE (2:49PM): Celine's heart is going on for the 4th time as I type this....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what type of tour are you on?