Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cambodia: Part 2

When you are in the moment, living a life changing experience, you often forget to appreciate the magnitude of it. Fortunately, this blog had given me a rare opportunity to reflect on my daily experiences while I am still living them. Cambodia had been an incredible experience for me--a glimpse into a culture unlike any I have ever seen.

All is not sunshine and roses though. The two phrases that I will take with me from this country are evidence of the dichotomy that exists here. Those phrases are: "1 dolla" and "hello!"

One of the first things our guide said to us in the hotel in Bangkok, was that the Cambodian people were more than happy to share their culture with tourists...for 5 dolla. The tourist attractions are rife with children asking for money and selling bananas...it's cute at first but soon begins to wear on the nerves. The children were clearly told to never accept NO for an answer.

Even when we went to visit a floating village out in the largest lake in Cambodia, kids in boats would pull up along side our boat and BOARD it trying to sell drinks and bananas. It was really something, I have to say.

We are currently in Sihanoukville, a little beach community just south west of Phnom Pehn(the capital city, where we will be returning in 2 days). This city, or at least the areas of it nearest to the coastline are very VERY much a beach destination for all sorts of westerners. Resort is too strong a word, but lets just say that there is probably more tourists here than locals, which is less than encouraging for my work but atleast I get to enjoy a little break from the action.

I have managed to post a healthy amount of photos in both the Bangkok set and the new Cambodia set (which will later get sorted according to city).

They can be found at the following links:

BANGKOK (just a few new ones at the end)

Comment if you feel so inclined, it's always nice to hear what you guys think.

Coming Attractions: Entering Vietnam on April 14

1 comment:

Clara Rice said...

those cambodia pictures are your best by far. you'd better do something cool with these pictures when you come back.