Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Our Pets (A non-photo related thought)

Just 5 minutes ago on my way home from class, I stumbled across a grisly scene. Ok, maybe it wasn't that grisly, but it got more of a reaction out of me than a normal roadkill run-in would have. The victim was feline, a beautiful white/black longhaired cat, someone's pet.

It's not everyday that you come across something like this: a pet run down on a busy roadway. It seems that our dogs and cats usually manage to stay just a step ahead of their rodent cousins who all too often find themselves beneath the wheel of a motor vehicle. Squashed squirrels are a dime a dozen in the roadkill world, we hardly blink anymore when we see one of those poor little guys. A cat is a different story. Somehow it just grips you in a different way, you can instantly relate. 
There is probably a lot of love wrapped up in the now cold body of that animal. An owner who will be wondering for the next few days where their companion has gone, the sadness that will follow when the truth is learned. I think of my cats back home, of which there are 5. I think of how one of my cats recently escaped a similar fate, suffering a broken spine and rear leg after being clipped by a car. 
Seeing that dead cat really hit home somewhere inside me. It drew into sharp focus the reality and indiscriminate nature of animals and the road. So, with that, love your animals, keep them safe. 
And now, time to make this post photo related. Here are 4 of my 5:




No comments: