Friday, August 22, 2008

Making a Difference

Every now and then, someone will ask me something along the lines of "what did you do today?"

Of course what they really mean is "what did you ACCOMPLISH today?" To be truthful, I haven't accomplished all that much this summer. I spent most of July getting together prints and a book for my show which opened a week ago and since then I have just been on cruise control, kickin' it, relaxing before heading back to Boston.

There are parts of me that feel this period of rest is ok, acceptable, after so many long months of activity. Then there are other parts that are brimming with creative energy, ideas and projects bubbling up within me, waiting to be realized. 
Then, there are those moments that fall into your lap when you least expect it. Those rare opportunities to make some sort of difference in the world--in someone or something's life. For me, that moment began last night and finished today when I handed over a shoebox to a kind older woman named Claire in Butler, NJ. Inside the shoebox sat two baby rabbits.


These two fragile lives were brought to me by the instincts of my cat, Mothra, late last night. For the past month or two, a small family of rabbits had been living in our front yard and I knew it was only a matter of time before Mothra got her paws on one of them. 
We kept the little guys in a shoebox overnight and my dad spent the morning searching for a place to take them. He eventually found a woman about 30 minutes from Montclair who seemed to be an expert in wild rabbit rehabilitation. Only problem was that he didn't have enough time to go out there on his lunch break and by the time he finished for the day, it might be too late to save the pair.

Enter me. 
The guy on the couch, kickin' it. 
It was time for me to do my part.

I happily volunteered for the job and hopped in the car. These rabbits needed me and I was ready to do anything in my ability to give them a second chance. I read somewhere that 95% of wild rabbits die within their first 6 months of life. I was determined to make these 2 little guys part of that 5%.

That trip made my day. 
Today, I accomplished something special. I helped save 2 young lives.

No comments: